Friday 30th December, 7.40 am. Due to high winds and continuing thaw of the snow pack, Snow sports are cancelled today. Snow School lessons are cancelled and will be reviewed for tomorrow. Funicular Railway opening at 9.30am. South westerly winds 47 gusting 60 mph at the top station with a temperature of +5C. Good visibility with light rain and drizzle at times. Updates regarding snow cover will be posted this afternoon. Ops 2.
29th December End-of-Day Update.
The warm, South-Westerly winds were too strong to allow surface lifts to open and snowsports were confined to standing classes in the Ptarmigan Bowl. Further snow loss has resulted in some areas becoming thinner on the Ciste Fairway and Ptarmigan Bowl. It's looking windy and warm again tomorrow which is likely to surface lifts - South-Westerly 50 to 65 MPH gusting 75 on the summits. The temperature is forecast to be 3C with a little bit of drizzle expected. First Update will be between 7.30 and 8am tomorrow. Warm weather continuing untill Saturday afternoon when snow is moving in. We also still have some spaces in our CairnGorm Shredder's Programme this season for any little ones looking to learn to ski or board in 2016/17.
Find Out More > > http://bit.ly/2gH3msx
As suspected we can now confirm that we won't be selling snowsports tickets today as the winds are currently preventing us from running the surface tows in the top bowls where the snow is. At the moment it looks like it might be slightly windier tomorrow, but there is a chance of more snow over the weekend.
Find Out More >> http://bit.ly/2ih3EUP
Unfortunately the winds aren't showing any sign of decreasing at present, so it looks very unlikely that we will be able to run any surface tows today. We will have a final review at 11.30am. Standing classes in the top bowl have still been taking place.
The Funicular Railway is still running as normal for anyone wanting to head up to the top to see some snow.
Find Out More >> http://bit.ly/1Sjr5GT
Thursday 29th December 9.15am. South Westerly wind at the top station 45 to 50mph gusting 60mph, Temperature +2C. SNOW SPORTS ON HOLD Funicular Railway opening at 9.30am. The Ptarmigan bowl piste will be open for Snowsports lessons today. The snow condition is firm at the moment, despite a mild wind which is forecast to increase slightly during the day. Next review regarding wind speed and surface lifts at 10.30am. Ops2
Thursday 29th December 8.15am. South Westerly wind at the top station 45 to 50mph gusting 60mph, Temperature +2C. SNOW SPORTS ON HOLD Funicular Railway opening at 9.30am. The Ptarmigan bowl piste will be open for Snowsports lessons today. Wind forecast to increase slightly during the day. Next review regarding wind speed and surface lifts at 9.30am. Ops2
Thursday 29th December 7:30am. South Westerly wind at the top station 45 to 50mph gusting 60mph, Temperature +2C. SNOW SPORTS ON HOLD Funicular Railway opening at 9.30am. Conditions are too windy at the moment to run the upper lifts. Currently assessing Ptarmigan bowl for ski school classes. Wind forecast to increase slightly today. Next update 8.30am. Ops2
5 PM Update: 28th December;
A few pictures from today showing how surprisingly good it turned out today. Many people were out enjoying some very good snow sports on the Fairway, Ciste Bowl, Ptarmigan Bowl and Ptarmigan run. There is also plenty space available for ski school standing classes. We hope to offer the same uplift tomorrow - weather permitting.
Ticket sales will be limited, please check on updates throughout the day.
First train scheduled at 9.30 AM.If you were here today, thanks for joining us and we hope you enjoyed your visit.
10.00 AM Update:
We have now suspended snowsport ticket sales as we have reached a safe capacity for the terrain available. We will review this in an hour or so once all the beginner classes are out on the snow.
Funicular only tickets are avilable.